Monday 29 August 2016

Working Through The Pile of Unfinished Projects - 2

Last year, I finished this piece of art but was never quite happy with how it was "framed".  


After taking this pic, I decided to weave a band with beads interlaced for that point of difference.  In the gluing process, I'd slipped and made a mess on one of the corners.  And me being me, I couldn't leave it that way.

So after much pondering, and whilst cutting up our kindling recently, I thought about incorporating naturally fallen branches to show the beauty within.  I cut up a tonne of tree limb discs and laid out a design.  Initially, it was going to be a simple square frame but whilst Heath played about, he added an abstract twist and I loved it!


Each disc has been baked to sanitise the wood and are now to be individually sanded to smooth out the rough spots.  I'm more a rustic kinda gal so am not planning to go so far as to remove the wood's character through the sanding process.  Each disc will then be varnished and am currently running a test on whether to use varnish or wax.  Cannot wait to pick up some lighter-weighted MDF and more sandpaper so I can play some more!  

Will share a pic once it's hanging on our wall so stay tuned :)


No comments:

Post a Comment