Sunday 28 August 2016

New Piece from the "Elements: Water" Series - Sea and Sand Treasures

I am part of a wonderful Facebook group run by this amazing lady who makes the most awesome lampwork beads, art and metalwork.  Late last year, she launched an "Uglipeep Snowball" gift swap which didn't have a deadline and was all about sharing the love for no reason amongst her wonderful Uglipeep community.  I was so lucky to receive some amazing gifts, one of which by the lovely Karin.


On the left is the gift bag made from a wonderful batik-styled fabric; in the middle are Karin's hand stitched beaded barrels and on the right is a ceramic pendant from Jubilee.

My instant reaction when I held the ceramic pendant was it took me to a sea cave where stories had been ground into the walls as reminders that many walked the Earth before us.  The texture of the pendant and its crumbled edge reminded me so much of compressed wet sand with its visible speckles of nature.  I knew this piece would fall within the Water element and I couldn't wait to get started.

In July, I drew out my concept drawing including the meaning for each part and set it aside.  Sometimes, I pull the beads and create immediately; others, it takes awhile.  And now, as of today, the piece I've nicknamed Sea and Sand Treasures is complete:


I used the Jubilee pendant and Karin's beaded barrels as part of the pendant, only adding Green Aventurine (to represent embracing the change of evolution - from cave dwellers to where we are today) and Indopacific glass.  My handmade wire sea pods represent the seaweed pods you find washed ashore, their kelp cages protecting the seeds of life within.  The Picture Jasper nugget and Fossilised Coral Agate for the imprints of life found embedded in rock walls that for many moons have been bashed by the sea, yet remain intact.  The Rock Hound pebble connectors for the preciously smooth gifts you find when beach combing.  I used the gorgeous batik-styled fabric when making my handmade fabric rounds as the print reminded me so much of water and sunshine.  Sprinkled with bone and brass spacers, ceramic, Czech glass and wire, I am overjoyed with how this piece turned out!  

Enjoy your week!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous necklace Nicola! The combination of all these elements definitely reminds me of a sea cave filled with treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karin! And thanking you so much again for your generosity. Your beaded beads are to die for! 😊

      Delete
  2. This is SO gorgeous and powerful and so full of amazing energy from all over the earth... what a lovely creative jump-start from Karin too :) I can see where that overjoyed feeling comes from :) Love reading your posts, sweet lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julie, I'm so appreciative of your kind words and support. At least I now know there's two people that read my posts bahahahaha - you and my Aunty xxx

      Delete