Saturday 30 January 2016

The Essence of Handmade - Update

Late last year I blogged about the essence of handmade (see here) where I shared a WIP project towards the end of the post.  Here's a quick reminder:


Well ... over Christmas, whilst I spent a day slothing watching back-to-back Star Wars movies with hubby, I finished the straps and handsewed it together.  Since then, I've made a pattern, painstakingly machined it together and wove a shoulder bag.  Talk about sweating!  I was hoping like crazy when machining I hadn't ruined two months' work when the bobbin jammed a couple of times.

This baby is lined with quilting padding and chocolate brown cotton lining and it is so squee material.  I must admit, when I showed Heath, I was grinning like the Cheshire Cat from Alice In Wonderland.  I was so chuffed with myself.  My machining skills need much work but I feel I'm improving with practice, especially being self taught (mostly through cursing <grin>) and hazy memories from high school home economics.

As I'm reluctant to throw craft bits out (they'll have a purpose some day!), I wondered what I could do with the offcuts.  First, I made a swatch for my patterns and then played around on the sewing machine.  As the offcuts were cut horizontally and inkle weaving being warp-based, I needed to stabilise the threads.  Machining each piece a few times, then washing, drying, ironing, trimming off ends and fray stopping the ends, here's what I came up with:


 I machined a length to a larger block coloured woven strap to tie in the patterns of the bag.  Plus I plan to use this as inkle woven ribbon for jewellery making as I was able to make two long lengths.  Im looking forward to designing a piece around this ribbon.  I love the colours and texture and again, its "out of the box"-ness.  Anyhow, back to the finished bag ....

(Drumroll please ....) Tah-dahhhhh:-


just love how this slight bell-shaped bag sits to the back.  And it feels so smooth and comfortable to wear.  So, so, so, so pleased :)

Would love to hear what you think!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting all of those bands done and pieced together into one very fun and useful bag! I don't get along well with my sewing machine and impressed with such skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Annie! It was a lot of fun despite the occasional yelling at my machine 😉

      Delete
  2. You did a fantastic job both weaving and sewing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Theresa! I really appreciate your feedback :)

      Delete