Sunday 24 January 2016

Growing With Your Craft

When I have a bit of down time, I love to catch up on blog posts of creative people I follow whilst sitting outside with a cup of tea.  This is where I clear my head for a little "me" time.  I hadn't done this for ages so over the Christmas period, I caught up on months of posts!

One thing I love about being creative is being able to follow other artists' creative journeys through social media.  One lady in particular inspires me with everything she writes on her blog or Facebook page.  She has this uncanny ability to resonate my thoughts and fears and draws like-minded people together for the same reasons.  And that is the very talented Julie Wong Sontag.  If you are unfamiliar with Julie's amazing lampwork, do yourself a favour and check her page out.

One of her posts I read recently was about how she was reflecting on how far she'd come within her work and then owning that realisation.  This post (hereprompted me to pull out some of my older pieces as a reminder, as I had recently gone through a period of "am I learning anything new/have I improved" stage.  

Wow!  What a difference five years makes!  Here's a couple of throwbacks - 

Luna - 2010



Isis - 2010


Soleil - 2010



This reflection was an interesting experience for me, as seeing these older pieces and their pics made me realise quite a lot.  In five years, I realised:

- I've still a lot to learn but I continue to love the trials and errors and embrace the mistakes.

- I have improved with my photography skills.  I know I've a long way to go but at least it no longer takes me 50 shots before I find that okay one lol 

- I continue to learn new skills that makes me feel more confident when designing a piece and the mechanics.

- I feel more free in the way I design.

- I continue to hone my finishing skills.

If you ever go through that stage of "can I do this", reflect on how far you've come and be proud!  It may not seem like it at the time but you will get there as long as you remember to have fun!

I'll be back this coming Wednesday with some pieces available for purchase :)

Happy Sunday :)




No comments:

Post a Comment