Friday 3 March 2017

New Piece from the "Hint of Tribal" Series

Awhile ago, I handpainted some wooden pendants with two feature beads to each pendant as part of a component kit I was trading.  A couple of them sold, but I kept my favourite of them all in hopes to use them in a piece.  Like with many of my pieces, the materials I wished to use sat waiting (the story of my life!) until recently, where I've been on a major creative push.

This piece wasn't created from a story, an expression, a feeling or something I saw which inspired me, but simply, texturally.  The pendant was my favourite for many reasons: it inspired a painting using the same texture as the feather; the design came so naturally that once it was finished, I literally jumped for joy and it prompted me to extend on the idea to sell the kits; and more importantly, I loved painting it so much that each time I hold it, it makes me smile.

I had made a cute wirework bail which was perfect for the chain to pass through which was sprinkled with some wire wrapped seed beads.  Next, I added the feature handpainted beads, a singular Tagua Nut cube, Czech glass and some Mykonos Greek ceramic spacers, all wire wrapped together.  I finished it with a hand macrame and seed bead neckpiece and wirewrapped embellished clasp.

It measures 40 cms from the base of the neck to the bottom of the pendant.  It is quite light-weight and texturally delicious!  I love how the pendant pops, all the other pieces add to its warmth and the soft cashmere blend neckpiece completes the piece.

Completing this piece was a triumphant moment for me as it was another design I'm seriously proud of.  It was also the last piece for me to complete from a collection of designs and materials to use I had grouped together back in 2015.  Yep, laughably, it takes me that long to get around to finishing things!  But I trust in myself enough that one day my ideas will transform from a sketch, to singular objects that will connect together so meaningfully and materialise into something a person will one day wear against their heart. 

When I test drove this piece, I felt the energy of my love of creating it almost like a protective shield, so this piece naturally became a part of my "Hint of Tribal" series. 






No comments:

Post a Comment