Sunday 11 September 2016

The Birth of a New Necklace Series - Update

So admittedly, I "ummed" and "ahhed" over how to connect these components together for a little longer than normal.  We've encountered rained out days so far this week meaning more days at home (last week, our work vehicle was in for repairs for almost a week!), but the upside to that was time to work in the garden, rest and ponder on these components some more.


I was nervous as I didn't want to marr the driftwood by wirework mistakes (as more often than not, the wire has a mind of its own - ha!).  I wanted to create a pendant that was structurally sound, asthetically pleasing and retained the vibe I was hoping for.  This is what I came up with (it only needed a redo once - yayyyy!).


The next step was to go through copious amounts of beads to find the perfect ones - the ones that spoke to me.  Ever since I was young, whenever I created, when I found the perfect "thing" to use, it would almost feel as though it was thrumming.  To this day, I still choose my materials this way and such is the case with each and every bead, paint or fibre used in my work.  What'cha think?  I'm excited!



Next was to make the necklace portion incorporating the clasp -


- and tahdah, after connecting it altogether .... introducing the first piece from my "Findings of Nature" series ...



This piece consists of a found piece of driftwood, a tree limb disc, a handmade polymer clay nature-inspired seed stick and a found stone handpainted by me and brought together by an eclectic mix of stone, seed, wood, glass, bone and Irish waxed linen in a macrame style.  All wood, stone and polymer clay has been baked, sanded and sealed for wear and tear.  All natural beads have been ethically sourced.

My heart is full!  I am completely stoked with the outcome, so much so I think I skipped in to show Heath hahaha. I'm so looking forward to start the process over for number two but more percolating is to be had. Am thinking a different colourway ... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment