Friday 11 December 2015

Handpainted Bookmarks With Beaded Tassel

So I've finally finished making the tassels for my handpainted bookmarks (big grin)!
 
I'd tossed around a couple of ideas using my bungles from last week's painting session.  I started off using Vintage Bronze wire to make a wrapped loop to hang the tassels from. After testing it out in one of my books, I noticed that the wire loop could be a weak spot, especially if knocked or bent.  Plus the pressure of the wire on the wooden hole had caused a slight abrasion.  Fearing the tassel could come away from two different weak spots, I binned that idea and started again.

I reverted to my trusty lark's head knot and overhand knot to secure the Irish waxed linen.  Then I simply knotted Czech and Toho seed beads onto it, all in complementary colours to that in the bookmark.

Here's a pic of them all finished:


And a close up of the beady goodness:



I love their weightlessness and pop of colour.  I know that many books are available in electronic formats, but there's nothing better than kicking back with a great book, some snacks and hopefully some quiet, if and when time permits.  It's been quite sometime since I've done this, but am hoping to on my short break over Christmas. Now I can exchange my crusty piece of note paper with one of these!  

What are you reading at the moment?

Enjoy the week ahead :)


2 comments:

  1. I love your bookmarks!Do you sell them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LauraSouderStudio, thank you for your kind words! I am planning to sell them via my Facebook page (see link at top right hand side) after the festive rush. Please feel free to contact me via FB or if you're not on FB, please send me an email to highlystrung0@gmail.com to discuss further 😊

      Delete