Sunday 20 December 2015

Designing A Piece of Jewellery - How It All Comes About

When I plan to create a piece of jewellery, I can be inspired by a word, song, colour, shape, bead, person, essence or an image that zaps in and out of my mind.  If none of this happens, I go through my design sketches in hope something draws my attention.  I get asked from time to time where my ideas come from, and most of the time it's hard to describe that my inspiration is an impression - an old relic unearthed by Archaeologists, a piece of silk representing the connection between nature and man, an organic seed of a tree in South-East Asia or using old traditions in a contemporary setting to be that little bit different.  I follow my heart when I create mostly for the love of creating, as when times I've created with the intent to sell, everything went awry.  The piece just didn't work.  And I certainly can't create when I'm in a negative space.  Creating for me is deep and has intent.  This is why, I guess, I don't name my pieces but group them into series with only a few having their singular story.  My hope is when a piece of mine has a new owner that he or she connects for their own reasons just as I created the piece for mine.


Elements Series


I started off with my "Elements" series seperating pieces into themes for Earth, Air, Fire and Water.  I've always been an elemental girl, someone deeply connected to Mother Earth and all she offers.  I feel my most grounded when I'm barefoot, connecting directly with the earth and in times of despair, I find myself drawn to water - for its calming, for its clarity, for its cleansing nature.  I'm least drawn to the Air and Fire elements, despite understanding their major importance in life.  As with everything though, you need all four for there to be balance.

This is how this series came about - an opportunity for me to push myself creatively, trying to step away from my go-to colour palette (something that comes together naturally) and work with all new colour combinations and components to achieve a similar goal.  I obviously didn't succeed in my self-challenge as the pieces in "Earth" are more abundant than the others.  Perhaps it's my inability to connect, however, I do plan, in the future, to continue to build on the other three elements.

My favourites of the series:

 "Elements - Earth" Series



"Elements - Air" Series






Hint of Tribal Series


My "Hint of Tribal" series came about through my fascination of eons past where items such as clothing were created through means of necessity rather than for pure consumerism.  For example, weaving by hand fabric for clothing was a must as this was the one means of production.  The Vikings, for example, couldn't just "pop" down to the shops when a shirt became irreparable; a time where animals were respected not only as a mode of transport but for what else they could provide in the means of food and warmth.  

So my definition of tribal isn't just that of what we see in today's styles.  It is one of a time well before technology; a time before mass-produced items; a time where necessity items were made with love, care, respect and for the longhaul. The "hint" or essence - a time where everything and everyone mattered, had a place and weren't overlooked.

My favourite of the series: 


Sling-On Series


My "Sling-On" series is certainly less deep.  For me, it's more about ease and comfort.

I love wearing necklaces but there are those times that no matter how beautiful a piece is, the clasp at the back of my neck drives me insane.  You know, like those killer heels that are so sassy but by the end of the night, your toes have dropped off haha

So sling it on and off you go - easy wearing, relaxed and different.

This is my favourite!  So light and gorgeous:



Singular Pieces

As mentioned above, there are times where I really connect with a piece and in the creating stage I see a story unfold.  Here is an example of my story.

This is "Nature's Way"


Nature is such a beautiful thing - how from one minuscule seed reliant on perfect germination to grow and thrive in hopefully the correct environment to then be beautiful and bold and then go into survival mode and bolt so that the cycle can start again.  Working in nature has made me truly appreciate the pure beauty of the world around us.  All we need to do is put down our phones and open our eyes :)
  • The necklace strand represents the DNA of the plant nestled in the seed.
  • The seed in this piece represents the beginning (or the end) of life. 
  • The wire loop below the seed represents the connection the seed has to earth - without it, there is no life.
  • The enamelled bead represents gloriously chocolate earth filled with richness and humus providing the best starting point of life.
  • The Czech pressed coin represents the sun which all plant life photosynthesise to thrive.
  • The beaded leaves represent new growth.

If anyone is interested in the available pieces in my albums on my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/HighlyStrungCreations/), please PM me :)

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhh... Such a great post! So much of it resonates so deeply for me! I love the way you describe your creative process, and the four elements connection is so awesome. Love! xo - julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Julie. It's so lovely to know that xx. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! It adds so much to know the story and process behind a piece, what's meaningful to you as the artist, and why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much Erica! I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete