Sunday 15 January 2017

New Year to Try New Things

It's been some time since I last wrote and it's all the crazy season's fault.  However, despite all the madness, we spent a wonderful day at my sister's place who put on an amazing lunch and we all left with full bellies and warmed hearts. We were able to have a few days off work to unwind and just be.  To switch off from the world and not adhere to a schedule. Much needed rest was had to heal, reset and recharge.  

I spent most of my time in the garden working on our vegetable patch. Tending to plants is something I find great joy in and as it was also my birthday, we added my favourite berry fruits to our collection, growing it to 42 different varieties of food.  I had intended on building a beehive, however, I feel my knowledge of keeping bees is not enough so I wish to research more until I feel I can handle any issue that may occur.

I did spare enough time to finish my mixed media wall art piece that I started in the September.  For me to have completed 15 projects since moving to the farm is a massive accomplishment and honestly, I'm so proud of what I've achieved.  This mixed media wall hanging was inspired by the way I make my vessels.  I had wanted to try an inlaid coloured shape on a flat surface and I also wanted to see how a larger piece would hold together when done flat.

Embellishing it with shell, wood, sea glass and seed gave the piece more depth and I really love how it turned out, especially being my last completed piece for 2016.  It now hangs in our lounge room


So with the beginning of each year, I like to think about all the new skills I want to build on and new ideas I want to try out, in my growth as an artist.  As I've mentioned so many times before, the list will always be never-ending.  But one thing I enjoy doing is expanding on my ideas using different mediums. 

Continuing with the theme of my style of basket-weaving (btw, it is in no way a traditional method lol), I recently became inspired by another vessel I'm currently making.  I had just finished the base and thought it would look so cool as a pendant.  So I ran with it.



I had visions of it being the first in a new "Dream Weaver" series but I'm unsure if it's on the wrong side of too different. I like stepping out of the box but have I gone too far??  I've had some feedback from family and friends who say they really like it but I dunno.  We'll see.  I'm going to attempt another in a different colour scheme so stay tuned.

Enjoy your week!


1 comment:

  1. This "Dream Weaver" necklace has now gone to a new home 😊

    ReplyDelete